Ten Tips For Buyers
10 Tips for Buyers
1. Be picky, but don’t be unrealistic. There is no perfect home.
2. Do your homework before you start looking. Decide specifically what features you want in a home and which are most important to you.
3. Get your finances in order. Review your credit report and be sure you have enough money to cover your downpayment and your closing costs
4. Don’t wait to get a loan. Talk to a lender and get prequalified for a mortgage before you start looking.
5. Don’t ask too many people for opinions. It will drive you crazy. Select one or two people to turn to if you feel you need a second opinion.
6. Decide when you could move. When is your lease up? Are you allowed to sublet? How tight is the rental market in your area?
7. Think long-term. Are you looking for a starter house with the idea of moving up in a few years or do you hope to stay in this home longer? This decision may dictate what type of home you’ll buy as well as type of mortgage terms that suit you best.
8. Don’t let yourself be house poor. If you max yourself out to buy the biggest home you can afford, you’ll have no money left for maintenance or decoration or to save money for other financial goals.
9. Get help. Consider hiring us as a buyer’s representative. Unlike a listing agent, whose first duty is to the seller, a buyer’s representative is working only for you. And often, buyer’s reps are paid out of the seller’s commission payment.
10. This sounds simple – but visit different neighborhoods and experience them like a local. Have breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee. Walk around –
visit at different times of the day. Is this a neighborhood where you
could see yourself? Do you like the energy of the neighborhood, services,
etc.? First search your top 2 or 3 neighborhoods before expanding to